tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Monday, March 17, 2003

The problem with protests, rallies, and demonstrations: I walked past a small group of protesters just off the University of Alberta campus today. They had signs that read various things, including "Innocent People Will Die!" "This war brought to you courtesy of Corporate America!" and most importantly "Honk for Peace!" The second one confused me. I think I know what it was getting at: oil contracts, Halleburton (spelling?), Cheney, etc. Protesters have been really haphazard about the sort of accusations they throw out. I don't really think that corporations can "buy" a war, no matter how much they might stand to profit. I also don't think Cheney is much in the inner circle of war planning (the VP usually isn't). I think Bush and Co. probably have what they think are valid reasons, both public and secret, for wanting to remove Saddam Hussein. I also think that Bush's absurd overconfidence in this risky venture might stem in part from his born-again conviction that God is on his side, and God will make everything work out in the end. I think Bush must be embiggened and emboldened by his hefty hard-on for Jesus. But the protest sign, "...courtesy of Corporate America," led me to wonder if you could just stick any old thing on the sign, as long as it is anti-war. If it said "Bush steals Iraqi babies and serves them at expensive Satanic ritual buffet dinner fund raisers for Nazis. Honk for Peace!" and people would honk and cheer just the same. Protesters are seldom called on to clearly explain their statements, and they don't really explain them when they're asked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home