tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Two nights ago, I watched Jacques Derrida butter an English muffin. No, it wasn't a sleep-over at his house. I saw the film Derrida. I don't dislike Derrida as much as I do other post-modernists, cause he doesn't expose his ignorance of science as often as people like Lacan or Kristeva do, but I still can't say I'm a fan. And the film was silly and intentionally reflexive, sometimes comically so: at one point, we get a shot from a tall building of someone filming someone filming Derrida as he walks down the street. Wow. Deep. Chris and I engaged in some similar stupid shit with our digital cameras in Lars Medley's apartment over the holidays: Chris shot me shooting Tyler Pendleton shooting the TV. (Chris, do you still have that shot?) Maybe if Tyler invents something called "de-re-deconstruction" and becomes a famous French philosopher with wild white hair, I can get a limited nationwide distribution for my next film. Perhaps someone with a greater number of philosophy classes under his or her belt can give me a run-down on Derrida and the current Conventional Wisdom on him, and where they think he'll be relegated in the history of philosophy. Is Heidegger really as important as Derrida seems to think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home