tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Wednesday, January 15, 2003

I picked up a copy of The Salmon of Doubt, a final collection of articles, anecdotes, and unfinished work of Douglas Adams [sigh]. It is very excellent. Naturally my eye was quickly drawn to an interview with Adams for the American Atheists. You can read the interview text here. I'd quote some highlights, but unfortunately Douglas Adams provided very little non-highlight material. I think the best line overall was "I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." (you may note that this is now my blog description). It was interesting to read about Douglas Adams' personal history as a devout Christian in his youth. It reminds me of my own history with religion, and it reminds me of other prominent skeptics such as Michael Shermer. Perhaps feeling like you were thoroughly hoodwinked by religion -- feeling like you wasted years of your life on someone else's delusion -- that makes some people take a watchdog stance toward religious groups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home