tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Thursday, December 12, 2002

Mormons have made the "wierd" category on Fark.com again, with the article "Mormons Again Promise to Stop Baptising Dead Jews". According to the article, Anne Frank, Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc, Adolf Hitler and Buddha are among the bejillions of names that Mormons have baptised for the dead. And a representative of a Jewish group says that "the Mormons are not the exclusive arbitrators of who is saved."

That having been said... I still find it a little confusing why some religious groups are offended when Mormons do proxy Baptisms for dead people. I think it's stupid as much as anyone, but the complaints made by Jewish, Catholic, and other groups, seem to be spiritual in nature. That the ritual somehow dishonors the dead, or is sacreligious in the context of the deceased person's religion. But proxy Baptisms are a central part of the Mormon religion. It seems to me that by demanding Mormons not baptise this or that dead person, they are in fact demanding that Mormons be insincere in their faith. As a total outsider to religion, I see proxy baptisms as no different than prayer. If I was offended by a name being used in one ritual, I should be just as offended by that name being used in a different ritual. So should Mormons also stop praying for Jews? My point is that the only way I can be upset about a ritual practiced by a different religion is if I am artificially relating it to something in my own religion. I can't demand that someone stop exercising their own faith simply because it contradicts mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home