tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Disillusion

Every so often I run google searches on my old friend Thad Roberts, who famously stole a safe full of moon rocks from NASA, where he was employed as an intern. Today I found an old gem that I've somehow overlooked: a blog post that makes an interesting literary comparison between fallen "golden boys" and Lucifer. The post ends with these inspiring words:
Disillusionment is ultimately egotism. Disillusionment is the world not living up to your expectations. It is the conviction that the world is not worthy of your labor, your love and integrity--that it is not worthy of the wonderfulness of YOU.
I happen to be at a point in my life where these words are especially potent. Disillusionment goes hand-in-hand with despair and defeatism. It is a time-wasting, destructive frame of mind. It is also fundamentally lazy. It is a way to avoid the effort required to find constructive solutions to difficult institutional problems. Such problems are ubiquitous. If you can't be bothered with them, then you are dead weight.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home