tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Monday, August 21, 2006

Astrophysics is rather sardonic

An interesting observation has been made by those accursed NASA wonks:
1E 0657-56: NASA Discovers Dark and Normal Matter Forced Apart: These observations provide the strongest evidence yet that most of the matter in the universe is dark. Despite considerable evidence for dark matter, some scientists have proposed alternative theories for gravity where it is stronger on intergalactic scales than predicted by Newton and Einstein, removing the need for dark matter. However, such theories cannot explain the observed effects of this collision.
Damn. I was hoping for a complete re-formulation of the gravitational force laws. I propose, however, a new name for dark matter: cruelly ironic space-filler. I've already starting using it around UCSC's physics department and have only been punched three times. Victory is mine.

More ennobling links in this MetaFilter post.

2 Comments:

At 8/21/06, 6:36 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I think the term "cruelly ironic spacefiller" (CISF) is already in use, referring to Americans with post-graduate degrees in fields other than "business administration," "law" and "biomedical." Any degree possessed by a CISF is technically referred to as a "boondoggle."

 
At 8/23/06, 11:32 AM, Blogger James said...

Then my task is clear: start a "university" that offers a single "degree" in Biomedical Business Administration Law. I'll call it the "University" of Quotes. And then I'll award myself the degree and live like a king! (Or at least a viscount.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home