tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Friday, May 06, 2005

That MIT Time Traveler Convention Thing

Although the convention itself is only a day away in linear time, your future efforts could still effect the turnout. Please help the MIT Time Traveler Convention guy.

I stuck the info into copies of In Search of Lost Time and a big book of 18th century Dutch architecture at the UCSD library. I figure that if Proust doesn't survive, nothing will.

UPDATE: Yikes. Now there's a Times story about it. Of course, some of us have known about it for days. We're called MeFi snobs.

3 Comments:

At 5/8/05, 12:07 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I've been trying to popularize the convention among my friends. I'm planning on attending in 20-30 years, after I perfect fusion power and subsequently a fusion-powered time-travel device.

 
At 5/8/05, 12:15 AM, Blogger Chris said...

You know, after reading the NYT article, I realize that there is one key thing that must separate me from those MIT students with wild imaginations: lots of disposable income to fuel their bizarre whims. That and, apparently, access to a machine shop with little or no supervision. But, like me, they must not put much effort into their courses, prefering to spend their time remembering Huffman codes for pizza topings...

 
At 5/8/05, 9:18 AM, Blogger James said...

I had a similar thought. The article is clearly meant to compel the reader to exclaim, "Oh, how *clever* those students are! Wow! MIT really *does* have the best and brightest! Whimsical yet nerdy! Delightful!"

Meanwhile, I'm thinking, How much money are they getting from their parents? Is it more than zero? Because I'm getting zero, both when I was a junior and senior at the U. and now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home