tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Saturday, June 26, 2004

Quite warm

Speaking of "What conceivable reason does anyone have left to defend or support Bush?", I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 last night. Just as you might have suspected, the evidence is insurmountable: Ray Bradbury was personally responsible for the September 11th terrorist atrocities. It made an estimated $8.2 million for a single day. Bowling for Columbine bagged $21.5 million over its entire run.

1 Comments:

At 6/26/04, 2:55 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I also went and saw the film. I thought it was excellent. My favorite moment was Bush's landing on the aircraft carrier, set to the theme music of "The Greatest American Hero." There could be no better music to accompany a bumbling-buffoon-turned-hapless-President like Bush.

During much of the footage I repeatedly thought, "Where has our news media been all this time?" Especially when seeing footage of amputees and other injured veterans, where have the networks been on this subject? I haven't seen one damn thing about injured veterans or their families in the nightly news or CNN. The US press also typically omits the more grisly footage of Iraqi civilians (esp children) who are caught in the crossfire.

The newscasters keep saying they'll do better, they'll be more conscientious. I've heard this soul-searching speech from anchor-people and editors a dozen times. But where the fuck is the reality in our nightly news? We only get brief footage and random crap with no depth and no clear story line.

I think Moore has done something that all the press are obligated to do, but don't: follow the story for more than ten seconds and give it to us as a narrative. Don't tell me about the heroes or the lucky ones. Tell me about everyone else.

Americans perhaps (me included) think of amputation as something that doesn't happen in modern wars (at least not to us). Somehow we got smarter and more careful and we don't have those kinds of injuries. After all, when since Vietnam have we associated war with loss of limb...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home