tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Saturday, July 19, 2003

It looks like RIAA is throwing down the gauntlet, serving 75 subpoenas per day to US file sharers. They have already filed suits against 1000 citizens. As said by Andrew Orlowski in an editorial for the Register [link], "If the RIAA was to be indulged in its whims, the statistics suggest that the USA would rapidly become a vast, continent-wide penal colony. And that's hardly a beacon of liberty to shine on the rest of the world." The editorial concludes with some well-stated comments:
My great grandfather was born in 1870. He learned to build crystal radio sets to listen to the earliest radio broadcasts in the 1920's. He would invite the whole town of about 500 over to listen to them. My grandfather was born in 1899. He purchased one of the earliest tape recorders to make copies of radio broadcasts for his friends in the late 1950s. My dad was born in 1924. He had a collection of 78's that he passed around for many years until he died last year. And now I am using the Internet to assemble an MP3 collection of all the tunes on all those LPs, cassette tapes and CD's that I've been buying since 1959. I'll be damned in hell before I accept the notion that I and my ancestors who love to listen to the audio arts are in any sense guilty of anything that is illegal, wrong, evil, immoral or improper. Gene Mosher
It boggles the mind to see how much of our society -- our technology and our private behavior -- are being threatened by RIAA's least-common-denominator. There's much more to all this technological progress than music sharing. The RIAA is trying to sell us on the notion that all new information technology, and all contemporary legal issues, revolve around their interests alone. They've managed to get away with too much of that line all ready. I hope they torpedo themselves with this bullshit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home