tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Friday, December 06, 2002

Erin works at a small coffee shop in a downtown mall, and yesterday she was scheduled to close by herself. She felt uncomfortable being alone, so I went down to keep her company. This crazy homeless-looking guy had been by several times during the day and insisted that he knew her from somewhere. Shortly after I showed up, he came in for his seventh visit and sat down across from me. I was working on my computer. "That's a nice computer," he said. "Just hit '52', you can't fuck it up. It's got everything you wanna know."
   "What?" I said, perplexed. "That's what I hit on mine," he said, "'52', it has all my answers." He continued mumbling various things with his hand over his mouth. Ocassionally I would hear a word, usually a number. Eventually I realized he was saying something to me again. "I can't hear you," I said. "You've got your hand over your mouth."
   He seemed irritated that I wasn't hearing him. He said, "Of course I got my hand on my mouth. It's to protect my teeth!" This went on for about an hour. Some time later, Erin walked by to clean off some tables. He gestured toward her and said to me, "You see that chick? Don't touch her. She's one of the originals. The original 44 thousand. She's been here 42 years, as long as I have." Then he walked outside and stared in through the window while he smoked a cigarette. I suggested Erin should call mall security to have someone walk by while she closed, but there was no answer. The crazy guy walked past the shop a few more times that night but didn't come in again.

I am now officially creeped out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home