tsujigiri

The editorial comments of Chris and James, covering the news, science, religion, politics and culture.

"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -Douglas Adams

Friday, September 20, 2002

Here's a post for science buffs, meaning myself. X and Y are uncertain events. The mutual information between two events X and Y is the amount that we could reduce our uncertainty of X by observing Y. So if X is a coin toss, and Y is a different coin toss, then the mutual information between X and Y is zero. But if X is a coin toss and Y is a record of the outcome of that coin toss, we stand to gain all information about X by observing Y (the mutual information is 1 bit).

Now suppose that X and Y are coin tosses, and Z=0 if the outcomes of X and Y are equal, or Z=1 if the outcomes of X and Y are not equal. The three-way mutual information of this setup is negative. Here's some equations:

I(X;Y;Z) = I(X;Y) - I(X;Y|Z)
I(X;Y) = 0 (that's the mutual information of X and Y)
but I(X;Y|Z) = H(X)-H(X|YZ) > 0
where H(X) means "the uncertainty of X" and H(X|YZ) means "the uncertainty of X given the results of Y and Z"

What does it mean!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home